Tuesday 12 November 2019

IT IS SAD!!!


Sadly, the bay tree has dried out.

The Bay Tree
A long time ago, a good size pot of standard bay tree we bought, and after some time it needs to report to a large one.  That was the sensible thing to do. We did that twice, and the third one, the tree did not look well at all.  Was it too late to do?  Almost.  Here are the pictures of the transplanting the tree to the larger pot.
Root Bound

It was hard going, I thought that I could not get the tree out of the pot. It was root-bound.  I understood now why the tree quickly had yellow leaves.

Repotting - Replanting

I trimmed some of the roots, but the tree on a new larger pot with fresh soil, blood and bones, garden lime and plant starter that make the roots less stress from replanting.  I am hoping that the bay tree is going to live, I know that it will have a growing setback.

A large Plastic Pot for The Bay Tree

I replanted the bay tree in a large plastic pot; hopefully, it is going to be easier next time when I need to repot.  I also planted a dwarf spreading rosemary on it, I think it will look beautiful with the purple rosemary flowers, especially when it has established.    

The newly potted bay tree with rosemary underneath.

Now the potted bay tree is sitting with other potted plants, in a cooler place until it settles back, then maybe I could put it somewhere else.

I am so pleased that it has been done, it was a bit daunting to start as it is a large tree.  But I did it.
Another work has to be done, as gardening is never finished.

I believe that this beautiful tall standard bay tree and the cascading rosemary underneath are going to be the admiration of herb lovers.  The flowers of the bay and rosemary have a lovely fragrance, beautiful scents.  I am very fortunate that I could smell the aroma from my kitchen window.
I am looking forward to when they are in bloom.

It took a while to get settled to the new pot, but eventually, they grow together beautifully.










Once upon a time the Bay Tree and the Rosemary look amazingly well together.  The top head of the bay tree was lush and green-very healthy, and also the rosemary plant which grows underneath thrive healthily.  At time rosemary plant showing off the fabulous blue flowers and the bay tree stands tall and looking strong was the indication that they both sharing the space alright.  Unfortunately, they did not stay that way for long.


The last look of the Bay Tree before it 's drying out.


The bay tree has grown to be bigger, and the rosemary was established beautifully, full of flowers, and the pair looked great.  The rosemary that growing underneath took all the nutrients, the bay tree did not have enough.  In the end, it gave up.  The disappointment of me that is I planted the herb underneath.  Right now, hopefully, the tree can be taken out of the pot, and the big job of fixing is taking place.


Now,  I realised that planting the rosemary together in the same pot was a big mistake.  Indeed, it looked so spectacular while the established rosemary plant was in flower.  I am not sure what is going to happen after this, could it be saved?
The Potted Bay Leaf Tree
Got rid of the rosemary plant, pruning the leaves, try to save it.  Now there are plenty of bay leaves to dry.  Look at the bright side of it, I will have enough bay leave powder for my future cooking.

Hope it is going to be alright; honestly, I think I will lose it.  It is sad.  Anyway, I went to ask for advice from the Nursery up the road, I will do what I must, and wait and see.  
We both have been working hard about this problem, so far, it does not look good.

Other beautiful potted plants have gone died, with similar patterns.  First, the large potted Camelia-Sweet Jane (not pictured) the Wollemi Pine Tree, the Green Japanese Maple, and more, they were pricey and very precious. 
Green Japanese Maple

Wollemi Pine

Yule Tide-beautiful Camellia plant with a red flower has gone too.  Also, this plant has died for no apparent reason-the cloud pine a topiary plant that I got from the ABC garden show a long time ago is ashamed. Only recently lost three roses plants, it could well be reasons, but I could not explain. A lot of surprises and a lot to learn to garden.

It is springtime, an excellent time to care about the garden, the plants.  Re plenish, replant and adding new seedlings indeed it is an exciting time for everyone.  Our case is busy to save the bay tree, I hope it is not too late, the plant does not look right
It is sad, but must not give up, keep on caring, and gift the best.

Plants are living things, they can be fruitful, enjoyable but also they can get sick but could be healed.  Love to hold positive thought.



A better and cheerful post next time.
Susy 

No comments:

Post a Comment