Saturday 11 May 2019

OH - NO !!! . . .




Cymbidium Orchids
Now is time to care about the orchid plants carefully as the weather is getting colder.  The first flowering plants must have large flower buds or spikes which need special care.  To keep these plants from the snails, away from strong wind and stay/follow on a warm place is essential, very important. The plants are better to be under shelter or inside the house.

This picture is one of my Cymbidium orchids to flower in 2013.  This year, it has three flowering buds, and the story goes . . . . .
Kibano Edna in Flower, 2013
I have orchids to care for but am not orchid grower; however, I am a keen gardener who loves orchid flowers. My Cymbidium orchids are excellent and healthy enough, but only a few plants have spikes, and the buds are growing bigger every day. It is cold outside, and one plant which has three flowering buds is sitting inside the house.  It looks happy enough, and grow promisingly.   As we all know that giving support for the flowers to make it secure and to stand right has to be done while they are small,  that what I did, carefully I put the stick and then I held the stem of the flower buds gently, and OOP - SNAP, it's broken.  OH  NO, sad it was and also disappointed.  The damaged cymbidium flower buds now sitting in a small vase, I don't know what is going to happen.
( I have to quote advice of a friend-Irene, she said: Be careful with the young spikes, the flowering buds, the tender young stem is easy to snap and break.  Do not temper, and let it be).  Yes, I do remember, and thanks, Irene.

The Cymbidium Kibano Edna Sits Inside the House.
 Three stems of young flowering buds, one snapped off, so unfortunate!
The three flowering buds.
 Now there are Two.

 The broken stem while it's fixed with a stick to strengthen up.
Days later, I did some reading about it; apparently, you could fix it by sticking the broken stem back together and wrap it with sticky tape.  Unfortunately, I was too late, the sticking back together had to be done right away.  It is good to know.
This is the article of an expert that I read.
Nothing worse than the long-anticipated orchids spikes to break. It happened to one of our Cymbidiums the other day.  When Cymbidium flower spikes are still small, the tender stems are easy to snap broken.  I just touched it gently, and it broke.  I noticed that the flower stem was very sticky, so I decided to attach it back and put sticky tape around it.  Now a few days later, the broken spike is still fresh and growing bigger.  I think the sticky sap makes it work and the flower buds can even get some nutrient, as long as it is reattached immediately after it broke. Hopefully that the broken part will eventually stick together and will be strong enough to support the blooms.  To make sure once the stem is hardened sufficiently.  I will reinforce it with a piece of a bamboo stick.


The Cymbidium Orchid Plants
They grow outside, some of them are sitting under the eves and are happy enough so far.
A Pink Cymbidium Orchid has five flowering buds.

Two New Spikes.

More spikes appear more flowers.

Out of forty plants, only four in flowers, a rather poor but it is better than not at all.

How about your garden, your orchid plant?  I hope they are right and well, lots of flowers to come.

These flowering orchid I shall expect to have the flowers in full blooms by the end of June, but I do have the late flowering one, so far there is no sign of new spikes on the plants though.


Dividing Orchid
 Long Cascading Orchid
Years ago, the beautiful cascading Cymbidium was overcrowded and was better to divide to make more plants.  They grow well, but they have not been flowering since.  Oh, no, indeed!

A long stem of cascading mini cymbidium full of flowers. Gorgeous!

It is mini Cymbidium Orchid Flower (the flower is small, but of a stem has up to thirty tiny buds/flowers.


I could have three beautiful long cascading cymbidium flowers of the Cymbidium Kibano Edna, but only two instead because of the accident, one snap off.  Looking forward to seeing it in full bloom and I will update, and show it to you.


Courage and Happy Gardening!
Susy

No comments:

Post a Comment