Sunday 31 August 2014

Roses and Citruses


A Reminiscence of the last roses in the garden, before pruning.  But for the citruses, it is time to harvest the limes, lemons and pomelo.  Snapshots of roses and citruses from my garden.

THE ROSES


The rest of the roses is ready for a rest, they are no longer flowering. That's the last red rose, I thought I have to save it from the cold, now it is inside the house.

Pruning is a big job, and it has to be done yearly and correctly, I am glad that I did it this time without any trouble.

I am hoping for more lovely roses in Spring.




THE  CITRUSES
Tahitian Limes  -  Standard Pomelo Tree


Lime and pomelo are giving us a good harvest this year, but the mandarin is not doing very well.

The limes are more than enough for what I need, this time we share the fruits with friends.

The pomelo tree is a standard tree which is very small, but amazingly it can carry seven large fruits this time.
I have a recipe to share.



Pomelo and Avocado Salad

A cup of pomelo meat or flesh
1 peeled and sliced the avocado.
1 tablespoon slivered almonds
Dressing
Juice of a lime
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
Fresh herbs-flat parsley
(Mix all ingredients together)
Place the pomelo, avocado in a serving bowl, add in the dressing (prior serving).
Toss them together, garnished with the almonds.
Serve the salad with grilled fish, or chicken.  It is good too, to accompany fried fish in batter.



The new lemon tree has about a dozen fruits; also, the plant has settled well.

It is the last day of  Winter now.   The new young leaves of the roses have started to come out.
The past few days the weather was good, I spent time in the garden tidying up, the topiary plants need to be done too, more planting seedling in pots.

1006 Kg, the largest pomelo harvested
One Pomelo left on the tree, I picked it, and it is the largest pomelo I ever have from my tree.  It keeps for a few months and looking forward to sharing it with the family when they are all home.

It is more than a kilogram.  I hope the flesh is thick/meaty and the taste is sweet.

Mixed citrus salad, I could prepare or Javanese fruit salad  (Lotis) we shall have.  I saw more tropical fruits in the market, which I will add them to the Lotis.










Oranges are at their best now,  I must share what we can do with them.  Until then, stay tuned.



Until the next post.
Thanks For Visiting
Susy


No comments:

Post a Comment