Wednesday 28 August 2013

Dendrobium - Cymbidium


Dendrobium
Dendrobium speciosum
(Rock Orchid)
Dendrobium speciosum is Australian rock orchid.  The flower has a lovely scent, intense fragrance.  I have one of those in my collection, and also two of bush dendrobiums, with white and purple colour, unfortunately, they are not in flowers.  They do need a rest from time to time.


Dendrobium-Purple flowers
Dendrobium-White Flowers


Red Cymbidium
Overall this year my orchids are not doing badly, but the red cymbidium is not flowering.  It was good to see that there was a red cymbidium in the orchid show for sale.  I was lucky enough to take it home to add to my orchid collection.  This one is a different kind of red compared to what I got, and also it is a cascading orchid,  I am not very familiar with its name: Kibano Edna, but it is a cymbidium,  so I know how I have to care for it. There are two stems in the pot cascading beautifully, I hope the next flowering season there will be more spikes, more stems.  Four years ago I bought a cascading brownish green mini cymbidium with three stems, and this year it has ten long stems with a lot of flowers.

The New Red Cymbidium Orchid - Kibano Etna

Beautiful Deep Red Cascading Cymbidium Orchid- The New Red Orchid


Maroon Upright Orchid
Another new addition to the family is an upright maroon orchid, it stands straight and tall, so beautiful.  It sits inside the house which I could see closely, and the family can enjoy it too.
Maroon Cymbidium Orchid


Other Orchids

Cascading Orchids
September and October are the months of orchids for the late bloomers. Sarah Jane cascading orchid has nine spikes.  I think it is going to be beautiful when the flowers are in full blooms.


The other cascading orchid has finished to flower, and we all are so pleased with the long ten stems full of pretty small flowers.  It is outside now, and a special caring has to be done after it finished flowering.


Mini Cymbidium
Only one mini cymbidium flowering this year, the beautiful snow white has not been flowering for a few years.
What is mini cymbidium orchids:  There are two types of  flowering cymbidium, one is producing large flowers, and the other one has small flowers, which is the mini cymbidium (As I call it)
My orange little flower cymbidium orchid is in bloom, now it is sitting outside,  not too far by the kitchen door which everyone could see from inside the house.  Such a beautiful warm orange colour.

White Orchid
Pure white cymbidium has been budding for a long time, but now all the buds are opening up to create a beautiful bloom, so serene and pure white.
Beautiful, White, Cymbidium

The Cream Orchid
You have seen it before.  It has been flowering since late June or early July, the soft cream is so good for this room. I think we will enjoy another month also.


The large room fills with these gorgeous flowers, the red orchid stands out against the cream decor, but white and cream are elegant colours, which are perfect for this large room.  Anyway, it is good to have a change.



Budding Orchids
More spikes I found from seven orchid plants, even the cascading little miss Muffet has three, it amazes me, as I only repotted last year.  Who knows, maybe I will find more, it is the joy of gardening, Full Of Surprises !.




More Orchids in September/October, Stay Tuned.





Thanks For Stopping By
Susy

No comments:

Post a Comment