Monday 6 August 2012

CITRUSES


Citrus Plants and The Harvest.

The citrus plants: Tahitian lime, Kaffir lime, Lisbon lemon, Mandarin and Pomelo trees are doing well in my backyard.  In fact, the Lisbon lemon is growing very well, it is the first time to harvest this year, the lemon is very juicy with thin skin.  The limes were plenty, and now the new baby limes have started, I could have the fruit all year round.  I used limes for cooking, baking, and I also preserved them. The Mandarin plant is having a rest, it has a few fruits only, and now they are ripening.  There are only three Pomelos, but I am pleased with them.  The fruits are much bigger than last year's.

Tahitian Lime Tree

The Harvest
The limes turn yellow if you leave them too long on the tree.


Two Pictures of a Kaffir Lime Tree

The Harvest


Lisbon Lemon Tree



The Harvest

Mandarin Tree


The Harvest
They are very small mandarins this year.

Pomelo Tree

The Harvest
The Largest Weighs 804gr



Other things that you can do with citruses are to add to drinks, flavouring for cakes, marinade meat, chicken, fish dishes.  I love lemon and limes in my cheesecakes.

I think it is worthwhile to have varieties of citrus trees in the garden.  Every family should at least have a lemon tree, it is so versatile.  Basically, they are easy plants to look after,  you have to fertilise them regularly.
It has been a good harvest from a couple of citruses this year.


Thanks For Stopping By
Until Next Post
Susy

No comments:

Post a Comment