Wednesday 22 February 2012

Green Beans

Fresh Green Beans

Nothing like having freshly picked green beans from the garden, they are crisp and sweet. It is a shame that I could not harvest enough of, the plants look healthy and green, but they don't bear a lot of beans.  I managed to cook for salad, stir fry with other vegetables and to add onto different dishes.

Topped and tailed green beans, cut the beans into small pieces, shredded seeds are what most people do for European cooking.
Beans cooked differently too, they are prepared as garnishes, and for salad, soup or added onto pasta dishes.

About seven hundred gram also I had picked, and now I will use them for a few dishes.  There are traditional ways of cutting beans in Java, I remember three of them, which I still do.  Beans for quick stir fry are cut differently to seeds for adding to the soup. 

The Green Beans -  Cutting Styles
Three Styles of Cutting
Short Cut, Slanting, Long Cut
Short Cut Beans To Add To Soup
Long Cut with Slits both Ends for Mild Spiced Braising
Cutting the slits both end of the beans.




Indeed there are specific ways to prepare and to cut the beans for cooking in Java.  Well, I hope my sisters agree and approve of it. 
The midweek cooking, today Ash Wednesday I cooked pancake rolls, midi pancake rolls with vegetable filling.  I used green beans together with other mix chopped vegetables for the filling of rice rolls, the green beans should be cut very finely. 

Chopped Green Beans
Chopped stalks of rainbow chard and celery stalks and carrots

 Midi Pancake Rolls


The Pancakes Rolls were delicious, I was pleased that I could share them with a neighbour, they were well received.  Light and delicious Midi Pancake Rolls for Midweek Dinner.

From green beans you can cook a variety of dishes, what you need are time and imaginations.  I will do Javanese cooking, hot braised green beans very soon.

Stay Tuned
Susy

No comments:

Post a Comment